Wednesday, January 9, 2013

My Super Hero Family

I think all of us have super powers of some sort or another. Other people might not see them but we know they are there.  I started thinking about this more and more as I looked at the artwork of an old high school friend.

Matt has always been a talented illustrator having a comic book in our high school and always drawing all the time but lately he had been posting some super cool stuff on his Facebook and Instagram accounts.

Recently he had shown a drawing of  his family  that looked like a cover of a comic book.  It was "super " cool.  I knew that Matt did commissions  so it seemed like a great gift for my husband for Christmas.  Now J isn't a big super hero or comic book guy but  who wouldn't want to have a really cool drawing done of themselves? 

I first approached Matt with my idea... a family of super heroes from Saint Louis with their own unique interests and skills:

Me
-Photographer
J
-Blues and Cardinals Fan
K
-princesses
-Green
-Elephants
S
-Blue
- her "oh puppy"

And of course we had to include Louie and Frankie!

Matt and I settled on a size and he went to work sketching and giving me some previews along the way.  I love the creative process!  He really got what I wanted it to look like.

Keep in mind we did all of this over email and it was super easy.  I did go pick my finals up in person since we live in the same city but I'm sure he'll mail/ship it any where it needs to go.

His original Pencil sketch ( already cool)

created by http://drawsumthincool.blogspot.com/

The next step: penciled version

Created by http://drawsumthincool.blogspot.com/

The pen /start to color version:
Created by: http://drawsumthincool.blogspot.com/
And the totally awesome  final version that now will hang up at my husband's office:

Created by : http://drawsumthincool.blogspot.com/

Aren't we cool looking? Even the dogs look bad-ass.  I couldn't have been any happier with how it turned out.  This is something so unique  that  you just can't buy in a store.  We'll always have this little picture of our lives and our likes right now.

Matt gave me a computer printed colorized version, the original pencil sketch, and a DVD with  a PDF, Jpeg and the Photoshop file.  He can draw any size you want.  This happened to be a 8x10.

I'm not usually all  YOU NEED THIS on my blog  but it is SO COOL  that I think you should.    Did I mention he can draw anything character, movie actor, or just any old thing? You could get your son's favorite bockugon character for his wall or Transformer.

I was in no way paid for this blog post by the way. I was a happy paying customer. And it was worth every penny.  My husband loved it.  The kids got a kick out of it too.

Monday
What is the Gunny Sack -Making the world Cuter -Debbie Doo -DIY Show Off
-I should be mopping the Floor


Tuesday

 Tip Junkie - My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia -The Kurtz Corner
Sugar Bee - Romance On A Dime -The Winthrop Chronicles

Wednesday
 Someday Crafts - Sew Much Ado
 
-SNAP

Thursday

Beyond the Picket Fence - Somewhat Simple - Live Laugh Rowe
- The Shabby Cottage The Taylor House- House of Hepworths 
Two In Diapers-Mommy Brain Mixer


Friday
Naptime CraftersStay At Home Nation
Young and CraftyMy Turn(ForUs)
Delicate Construction
Serenity Now

Saturday


Six Sister's Stuff

Cheerios and Lattes



10 comments:

  1. This is AWESOME!!! I loved how it turned out, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He can do it over the internet too ;)

      Delete
  2. ooh, I want one!!
    Jess F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should at least get one for the boys!

      Delete
  3. too cool. you are right. seeing the creative process was cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea - so unique and special. I think the colorized version turned out fantastic!! Very cool. Thanks for sharing this at Romance on a dime!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! It's fun knowing someone who is so talented.

      Delete
  5. Hey Emily, I am curious as to a price range on your friends work...I think this is a great gift! Thanks for sharing on Show & Tell at SNAP! xoxo, Tauni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tauni- Sorry it took me so long to respond. It varies based on size as he does 3"- poster size. You can contact him at http://drawsumthincool.blogspot.com/

      Delete

Your comments make my day. I love responding to them. Please make sure you have your setting so that you see my reply. I always reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...