Sunday, October 14, 2012

Fall Desserts: Apple Goodie


If you like apple pie but aren't crazy about the crust (like me) then this post/recipe is for you.....

After we went apple picking, I thought I wanted to make an apple pie.  I went over to my godmother's house and asked her if I could borrow her Apple Slicer/corer.  I knew it would make my life easier for sure.  I don't have time for by- hand anymore.   I live my life by the whole...."Work smarter, not harder" alot lately.



She asked me if I really liked the crust in apple pie and Iwas like ..eh... not as much as the filling. She then asked if I had ever had or made something called Apple Goodie. It was basically as the numminess of the filling without all that pesky crust.  Since I was not looking forward to that part anyway I was sold.  She said her mom would make it all the time back when she was little . I went home that night and looked it up on Google. Gotta love Google.  Of course there are 18 billion recipes ( ok, I exaggerate but there could be) for Apple Goodie. I searched through a bunch of them a nd landed on this one from Experience Ohio Amish Country . I didn't have any ingredients I didn't like or didn't already have. Sweet.

I was headed over to my parents house the next day I decided to make it there and have my mom to answer any baking questions I may have.

Apple Ingredients:

1/2 c. sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 qt. sliced apples ( I think next time I would add more.  I love the apple part as much as the crumble)

We picked out the best Jonathans we had and then got to work peeling and slicing them using the Pampered Chef slicer/corer.  The girls got to help out with Grandma's supervision.

 You can see S  HAD to come see what we were doing...

 and then do it TOO!
                    



 I would have actually added even more apples because I thought there wasn't enough but I guess it all depends on how much you like your apple to crumbles ratio.

Mix together sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon and apples. Press into a cake pan.



The recipes didn't call for any particular type of pan so I used my Pampered Chef Stone  8x8 pan.  I just like how evenly everything cooks in the stoneware.

Topping:
1 c. oatmeal
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. flour
1/4 tsp. soda
1/3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. butter
Mix dry ingredients and cut in butter. Put on top. Bake at 350° until nice and brown.

cutting in the butter with a pastry cutter

 Dry mix added to top of Apple mix

The original recipe had no time given for how long to cook. For my  attempt, I first did 30 minutes  and looked at it and then did 10 more  because it didn't look  brown enough on top.  And then another 5 so... I ended with 45 minutes and at 350 degrees, that's not too surprising that it took that long. BUt I think  the time could be diffrerent for everyone based on your oven  how it cookes things.

I really liked it and I can't wait to make it again.  FYI..... It  was still very good and crispy warmed up in the microwave later :)


Monday
What is the Gunny Sack -Making the world Cuter -Debbie Doo -DIY Show Off
-I should be mopping the Floor
Great Fun 4 Kids

Tuesday

 Tip Junkie - My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia -The Kurtz Corner
Sugar Bee - Romance On A Dime -The Winthrop Chronicles

Wednesday
 Someday Crafts - Sew Much Ado
 
-SNAP

Thursday

Beyond the Picket Fence - Somewhat Simple - Live Laugh Rowe
- The Shabby Cottage The Taylor House- House of Hepworths 
Two In Diapers-Mommy Brain Mixer


Friday
Naptime CraftersStay At Home Nation
Young and CraftyMy Turn(ForUs)
Delicate Construction
Serenity Now
Here Comes the Sun

Saturday


Six Sister's Stuff
Cheerios and Lattes
Natasha in Oz -Say G'Day

9 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I love all things apple but this would be easy to make. I definitely need to buy one of those peeler/corers. I do it all by hand and but my old boss (at a bakery) had this and it did make things go by quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Megan. It really does make a huge difference. And it's super nummy so you definitely have to give it a go.

      Delete
  2. Just dropped by to say Hi from your Blog Angel:) As you might have guessed it was me! I did get the instructions a bit messed up so please ignore the e-mail I sent you..I understand it now though (lol) and I'm ready to start the second phase of Blog Angels:) xoNiki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL... no prob, Niki. It's so cool that you already have a blog as your age ( you are half my age... I'm old) You get to blog through out your life and look back on it and either laugh or cry :) If I can help you out too, I'm more than happy to do so.

      Delete
  3. Looks so delicious!! I love apple pie, apple crisp, and this looks good too. Thanks for sharing this at Romance on a dime!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betsy. It really is nummy. We ate it for days after.

      Delete
  4. Hi there. I'm so glad to have you. I'm following you back on google+

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just sprinkled this post at all my favorite places: Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest:) Thank you for sharing at Freedom Fridays Blog Hop! Hope you week is amazing:)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day. I love responding to them. Please make sure you have your setting so that you see my reply. I always reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...